Urgent Care for Kids Questions and Answers
At Immediate Care of Oklahoma, our medical doctors and healthcare professionals are happy to provide your child with friendly, compassionate, and high-quality medical care. For more information, call us now. We have multiple convenient locations to serve you in Oklahoma City, OK.
Table of Contents:
Should I take my child to an ER or an urgent care?
When should you take your child to an urgent care?
What urgent care services are available for my child?
While it is always a good idea to have a pediatrician or family doctor who can regularly provide your child with medical attention, there are times when your child experiences an injury or illness without a pediatrician or family doctor available to see them. In such cases, an urgent care clinic is an excellent option and was designed for such situations.
If you are wondering whether you should take your child to the emergency room or to an urgent care clinic, it is important to determine if their medical concern is a life-threatening medical emergency or not. If their medical concern is a life-threatening medical emergency, then you should take them to the emergency room immediately. However, if their medical concern is not a life-threatening medical emergency, an urgent care clinic is an excellent choice and will likely save you both time and money.
Some signs that your child is experiencing a life-threatening medical emergency and should go to the emergency room include the following:
• Compound fracture, or broken bone that pierces through the skin
• Cut or laceration that bleeds heavily or uncontrollably
• Difficulty breathing or stopped breathing
• Head injury that causes confusion, fainting, or loss of consciousness
• High fever with neck stiffness and a severe headache
• Injury to the neck or spine, particularly if it causes an inability to move or loss of feeling
• Seizure that lasts between three and five minutes
• Severe burn
• Severe chest pain or tightness
• Sudden and unexplained pain in the arm or jaw or inability to move, see, speak, or walk
There are several situations or times when it is highly convenient and advantageous to bring your child to an urgent care clinic. Since urgent care clinics accept walk-in appointments and are open on weekends, they serve as a great alternative to the emergency room when you are unable to make a timely or same-day appointment with your child’s pediatrician or family doctor. Moreover, if your child does not have a pediatrician or family doctor, an urgent care clinic can also provide a broad range of medical services and treatments for your child, whether they have experienced an injury, illness, require lab testing, and more.
Urgent care clinics can provide numerous services for your child! While they do not treat life-threatening medical emergencies, urgent care clinics can take care of most other injuries, illnesses, or medical conditions that do not require the services of a specialist. At Immediate Care of Oklahoma, we can provide the following services and treatments of any of the injuries, illnesses, and conditions listed below:
• Abdominal pain
• Allergies and allergic reactions
• Asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, and other respiratory illnesses
• Burns, cuts, and lacerations
• Cold and flu
• Dislocations, fractures, sprains, and strains
• Ear, throat, and sinus infections
• Eye infections, including pink eye (conjunctivitis)
• Flu shots and immunizations
• On-site laboratory and X-ray services
• Rashes and skin infections
• School and sports physicals
• Strep throat
• Suture removal
• Tick bites and other insect or animal bites and stings
• Tuberculosis (TB) testing
If you are looking for an urgent care clinic that provides excellent medical services to kids, we welcome you to come to Immediate Care of Oklahoma! We have seven clinics located in Edmond, Norman, Yukon, and Oklahoma City, OK. We welcome you to visit one of them for a walk-in appointment.
We serve patients from West Moore OK, Norman (HealthPlex) OK, Norman (24th) OK, Edmond OK, Yukon OK, I-240 & Sooner RD OK, Tecumseh OK, and Bethany OK.
Additional Services You May Need
▸ Urgent Care Services
▸ Illness + Injuries
▸ On Site Lab + X-Ray
▸ Helpful Health
▸ Motor Vehicle Accidents
▸ Drug Testing
▸ UTI Treatment
▸ Employment Physicals
▸ Workers Comp
▸ Strep Throat Treatment
▸ Pregnancy Testing
▸ Blood Pressure Testing
▸ Mononucleosis Treatment
▸ Suture Removal
▸ Respiratory Syncytial Virus